Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Desperate Few

After reaching Okhla I got down asking the driver to stay put there as I crossed the road to the nearby toy shop. While I was crossing by, a group of school going kids crossing me not only passed some cheap remarks but also tried rubbing shoulders with me. . .
I wondered so as to what was happening to the present generation. At the same time dawned the fact that being a female in this country was really tough. Not just uneducated people, even the educated ones here had there own perceptions about females being the weaker and derogatory sex. With the first female president joining house, the society at large still have silent issues about females heading in any arena, the scenario still is not that bright. Everyday there are hundreds of females who suffer one or the other king of sexual or mental harassment in offices or homes. I had been pondering in the heat of the sun over the dignity of the men in various age groups who on such similar roads and corners rebuke there own existence by their cheap behaviors. For few seconds of pleasure we loose our dignity of being humans, which is so gifted by God. I often wish I could do something and make a difference. (Five years earlier when my dad asked me whether I would like to do my MBA, I knew he would be cutting it too low, with my brother already in engineering studies, expenses would have been very heavy for him to bear. I realized it that day that I will have to work very hard to carve my way forward and today five years down the line I have no regrets. Even now, I am at par in all aspects to my peers, may be better off. I can never forget my dad quoting – When going gets tough, the tough gets going…. Had it not been for the support he had extended to me I wouldn’t be even a bit of what I am today.)
But even though i did good for myself i dont think i can or would be able to do anything good for the mentality of the people we live with.

No comments: